DAHS Students Superb Quarantine Snacks

%28Scheuerell%29

(Scheuerell)

Ainsley Swenson, Reporter

While many people are doing many different things to stay occupied during this long, strange, and boring time, it can be agreed that all of us do one thing in particular…SNACK!

I reached out to a few DAHS students to talk about their favorite food to snack while they are stuck indoors, and I think you will agree that all their ideas sound delicious!

7. Tortilla Chips and Salsa/Sour Cream Combo

(Wheeler)

This first snack comes from DAHS senior, Kayleigh Wheeler. When asked about her favorite snack, her immediate response was “salsa mixed with sour cream.” It is very simple to make this snack because you only need salsa, sour cream, and tortilla chips. In order to make this savory treat, you first put 2 or 3 scoops of sour cream in a dish and then add 1 or two scoops of salsa. Next, you mix the two ingredients together, dip your favorite brand of tortilla chips into the mix, and enjoy!

6. Crispy Apples and Crunchy Peanut Butter

(O’Connell)

This snack, coming from Clare O’Connell is extremely easy to make. Clare loves to snack on apple slices and crunchy peanut butter. All you need to do to make this treat is to scoop out a little bit of peanut butter and put it on a plate. Then you must cut up an apple, dip the slices into the peanut butter, and eat your delicious treat.

5. Cake in a Mug

Junior, Molly Costello, loves to make chocolate cake in a mug when she is stuck at home. This dessert is a little more complicated to make and has about eleven ingredients, but it takes less than fifteen minutes to make. Costello says that this sweet treat is delicious, and if this treat sounds interesting to you, then you can find her recipe linked here.

4. Cinnamon Rolls

DAHS Junior, Phillicia Teitge, enjoys making cinnamon rolls from scratch to eat during her time at home. She will usually make them in the morning and eat them for breakfast throughout the day. Teitge’s favorite recipe has a prep time of twenty minutes and a total of one hour and fifty minutes to completely make, so make sure you have enough time to completely make these rolls. If you want to see Teitge’s favorite recipe, it is linked here.

3. Baked Mac ‘n’ Cheese

(Anderson)

Arianna Anderson, DAHS student, likes to make baked Mac ‘n’ Cheese as a quarantine snack. Her recipe is very simple and almost anyone can make this dish. If you like cheese and noodles then this is the snack for you!

(Anderson)

2. Cucumbers with Soy Sauce and Rice Vinegar

(Scheuerell)

This snack, from the kitchen of Alexys Scheuerell, is a bit different from what most people would expect. I had personally never heard of cucumbers mixed with soy sauce and rice vinegar, but Scheruerell swears that it is amazing. According to Scheuerell, in order to make this treat you must take a cucumber and use a knife to “peel half of the skin off, Then slice [the cucumber] thinly and put it in a bowl.” Finally, you must put soy sauce and seasoned rice vinegar on top and eat your new snack. 

1. Popcorn with M&Ms

The final snack I will be discussing today is my personal favorite, popcorn with M&M’s. This treat is really easy to make because all you need to do is pop some microwave popcorn in the microwave, pour it into a bowl, put about ⅓ of a cup of M&M’s on top, and then mix the chocolate in. This snack is a perfect mix of sweet and savory, and it is perfect for watching TV or for a movie night.

I hope you try out these treats at some point during the rest of our time inside, or at some point soon. Stay healthy and have a great summer!