Looks Like We Will Be Graduwaiting for a Ceremony

Wikimedia Commons

Alyson Bass, Reporter

For twelve years, the class of 2020 has been anticipating their last and final stretch of high school. They have watched time and time again upperclassmen graduate and walk across the very stage that they would someday to walk across. With graduating comes not only a sense of relief but also a profound feeling of accomplishment. Or so they say. Being handed a single piece of paper showcased in a square leather unit somehow makes up for the twelve seemingly-endless years of K-12.

Now, in the last couple of months, we Seniors have been cut off and robbed from possibly the most memorable months of our undergraduate career. These months, where most of us have heard countless stories from our elders on how they went out with a bang their senior year were now supposed to be OUR stories to tell. Instead, we are left wondering what could have been. 

These final months were supposed to partially make up for all the painful and awkward moments that high school has brought us. Trying to find who we are and constantly getting asked our whole life, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Now, without a warning or a moment to pause we are forced to grow up. To face problems that “the real world” has because, allegedly, up until now we haven’t been living in it. We have been told to stay out of situations like these because we will “understand when we are older”. As if somehow age determines our ability to stay informed. Now it’s not about your age, sex, or gender. We all are not too far from reality’s reach.

In DeForest, it is without question that many senior students are adapting to this changed lifestyle. In a survey taken of 35 DeForest Seniors, 100% of Deforest seniors said they are still able to stay on top of all their school work so far. 25% also said that they enjoy online school more than actually going to school. Even so, many seniors are still upset about missing their last moments of senior year. Natalie Skaife, a senior at DeForest, said, “I was looking forward to senior year because there was a possibility for me to be a captain this year. Lacrosse is a stress reliever that I could’ve used during this time period. It was my last time playing with the underclassmen before college”. Those who play spring sports missed out on possibly their last year ever playing that sport. 

Even though there is a lot of loss that has come into our lives, with social distancing we could potentially have a silver lining for us young adults. In an article written by Warton University, Howard Kunreuther, a professor from Wharton University believes that “the pandemic offers an opportunity to increase people’s awareness of another major global risk” – the earth’s lifespan. Now that there is more substantial proof that human activities do cause harm to the environment, more people may become aware of how their actions affect the world. There is still hope for our planet even if right now it seems hopeless. We are all in this together and it is important now more than ever that we follow what is advised so that we all can come out the other side. 

As for our graduation ceremony, who knows what the future will hold. But you might want to look into replacing that graduation gown with a hazmat suit.