Students are always falling asleep in class… always. Teachers complain about students not answering questions because they are tired and can’t think straight. So instead of telling students to wake up, like most teachers do, let’s look at why students are tired in the first place. One of our reporters conducted a survey with 40 students at Deforest Area High School. An average of 60% of students get around 7+ hours of sleep on a school night. It may seem that 60% of students is a good percentage, but the other 40%? Of that 40%, 10% only gets 3-4 hours of sleep and 30% gets 5-6 hours of sleep on an average school night. According to The National Sleep Foundation, teenagers need 8-10 hours of sleep to function properly. This means that more than 40% of teenagers at Deforest High School may be sleep deprived on a regular basis.
But what causes this lack of sleep? Is it just teenagers staying up on their phone into all hours of the night? When conducting this sleep survey at Deforest High School, the question was raised of why students can’t or don’t sleep. Sixty percent of the students who took this survey agreed that they were too busy to sleep. Fifty percent agreed they had too much homework. Being too busy and having too much homework can make a very stressful life.
According to the American Psychological Association, average teenagers report higher levels of stress than the average adult, that is terrifying. These high levels of stress lead to increased depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and even more sleeping issues. If students keep putting sleep on the back burner due to stressful lives, it can lead to exhausted driving and mental health issues. So next time a teacher goes to slam a textbook on the floor to wake someone up, remember maybe it’s better to just let the kid sleep.