Seven Things to Do While Social Distancing: According to DAHS Students

The Bradford Group

There are so many things you can do to keep busy at home!

Ainsley Swenson

On March 13, 2020, the Deforest Area School District announced that they would be closing their doors and going forward with online classes due to COVID-19. This was quite a shock and left many students asking what they would do with their free time. To help keep your mind from boredom, here is a list of seven things to do while social distancing as recommended by DAHS students.

1. Clean Your Room

While this may not seem like the most fun thing to do, it is actually great! Many people never think to clean their rooms and their things can pile up. Cleaning your room makes you feel accomplished and it allows you to have a clean and comfortable space to do homework or watch youtube.

Here is are some tips from wikiHow on the easiest way to clean your room.

Pxfuel
  1. Organize Your Closet

Again this may not seem interesting but it is a great way to take up some time in your day. Pull out all your clothes and organize them by season, style, or color. This also allows you the opportunity to find clothes that you don’t wear or like anymore. Make a pile of these clothes to donate to Goodwill or sell to a second-hand store like Plato’s Closet.

If you want more tips on organization, I recommend watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix.

Flickr
  1. Do Your Makeup

Many people may think this is a stupid idea but anyone can do it and have fun (yes even boys). You can try a new glam look or try and make yourself look like Joe Exotic from Tiger King. Makeup can take a lot of time and it is a great way to relax or have fun. Kayleigh Wheeler, a DAHS student, says she has spent much of her time “doing [her] makeup” and thinks it is a great way to pass hours during these long days.

Here is a link to some fun makeup ideas from Makeup.com.

If you are interested in watching makeup content then I recommend watching Glow Up! on Netflix.

Wheeler
  1. Watch Movies on a Steaming Service

You can spend an hour or two watching a comedy or an action movie with your family. There are so many movies you can watch right now even if you don’t have a subscription.

Here is a link from Rotten Tomatoes on 200 free movies to watch without a subscription. You can watch movies for free, with ads, from Vudu as well.

Pxfuel
  1. Play Video Games

Students like Sara Natysin have spent a decent amount of time during the break playing games like Breath of the Wild or Super-Smash Bros on the Nintendo Switch, but there are also tons of games you can play online on websites like addictinggames.com and https://tabletopia.com/ 

Pixabay, josephredfield
  1. Go on a Walk

You can go enjoy the outdoors while going on a walk alone or with your family. It is a great way to get fresh air and exercise. I have gone on a lot of walks since social distancing began, and it has become one of my favorite pastimes. I recommend walking in Western Green Ara Park or on the trail in Conservancy Place.

PxHere

1. Bake

Anyone can bake as long as they have a few ingredients and a stove. Baking is fun, time-consuming, and (in the end) delicious. You can spend thirty minutes to an hour making something enjoyable while passing time.

Here are a few recipes from BBC Good Food to make during this neverending pandemic.

Wallpaper Flare