DAHS Alum Ariana Manghera Stars In Edgewood College’s Columbinus

(John Maniaci)

Karissa Cowles, Reporter

Edgewood College has begun their performances of Columbinus, a play depicting the stories and the horrors of the Columbine Massacre, which was a massacre that happened in Littleton, Colorado at Columbine High School that left thirteen victims dead on April 20th, 1999. The shows are performed on February 28, 29 and March 6, 7 at the Ballweg Theatre. According to Edgewood College, the play weaves together excerpts from discussions with parents, survivors and community leaders, as well as police evidence to bring to light the dark issues that still plague America today. 

DeForest alumni Arianna Manghera has played in many roles throughout her acting career. She played the lead role of Ariel in The Little Mermaid musical put on by DeForest Area High School, as well as other larger roles in plays such as A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  When asked about her thoughts on the play and what she hopes the audience takes away from it, she stated, “When I found out Edgewood College was planning to put on Columbinus, I was excited but nervous. This was a “bucket-list” show for me… What I’m hoping people takeaway is that they see the parallels between the events of the Columbine massacre and the problems that are still relevant today”.

(John Maniaci)

This show is not for the faint of heart. The production of the show is very intense, and it displays some controversial themes. However, this is all done for the sake of realism and transparency between the actual events and the audience. The production uses haze, lighting effects, and gunshots, as well as actors using racial slurs and other offensive languages.  

If you get the chance, I highly suggest that you go see the performance. When I saw it, I was shocked and speechless. I believe this is a show that everyone should see to take a closer look at just how horrific this massacre was, and how the issues showcased in this performance are relevant to the horrors we see today, such as, the Parkland Shooting, which is a more recent case of school violence on a large scale.

Edgewood College is displaying information about each victim and many others at the Ballweg Theatre to pay homage to the thirteen lives that were taken at Columbine. Jefferson Street Journal would also like to honor the victims: Rachel Scott, Daniel Rohrbough, Dave Sanders, Kyle Valesquez, Steven Curnow, Cassie Bernall, Isaiah Shoels, Matthew Ketcher, Lauren Townsend, John Tomlin, Kelly Fleming, Daniel Mauser, and Cory DePooter.