Getting to Know Ms. Black

May 27, 2022

Hannah Black is a biology teacher at Deforest High School in DeForest, Wisconsin. She started teaching at Deforest High School in 2019 as a student teacher for Mrs. Kramer. Once Mrs. Kramer left the district, Ms. Black took over for her in the science department as a biology teacher.
Ms. Black grew up In Galena, Illinois which is about two hours from DeForest. She has had many jobs in Galena, including working in her parents’ food truck during the summer.
During the school year, Ms. Black attended Wahlert Catholic High School in Dubuque, Iowa. She went on to say,
“It was a school that was much more focused on the arts, and I was very passionate about theater, even back then!”
After high school, she went on to attend Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois which is a small private college. Her graduating class was only made up of 400 people!
Her major in college was anthropology and sociology. She stated, “I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life in college, but by the time I had taken all the classes I needed to study abroad I was about a third of the way done with the anthropology and sociology major so I just went with it!”
Now, what is the difference between sociology and anthropology? the University of North Dakota says “The specialization of anthropology is sociocultural, linguistic, biological and archaeological. On the other hand, sociology studies the development, structure, social interactions and behaviors of human society at a specific time.”
On the other hand, from ThoughtCo, “Anthropology examines culture more at the micro-level of the individual, which the anthropologist generally takes as an example of the larger culture. In addition, anthropology hones in on the cultural specificities of a given group or community. Sociology, on the other hand, tends to look at the bigger picture, often studying institutions (educational, political, religious), organizations, political movements, and the power relations of different groups with each other.”
As well as her interest in science, Ms. Black has always had a love for theater. She has always been involved in the performing Arts which has been a part of Ms. Blacks’ life since she was very young. In 2010, she was a part of her favorite musical; RENT. She now is the stage director for the school Musical here at DAHS. The next musical she will be directing is Chicago. Auditions will be held the last week of school, and Chicago the musical will be taking place November 9th-13th 2022.
As well as her love for theater, Ms. Black has also always had a love for animals. Growing up she had dogs, cats, and fish. Fun Fact: one of her dogs was named Gryffindor, and she currently has a cat named Charlie Catpin named after Charlie Chaplin.
Since Ms. Black has a love for animals, it only made sense for her to get an internship that involved animals. She had an internship at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago where she worked in the big cat building, and she absolutely loved it. Her favorite animal was a clouded leopard named Sky. However, the lion, named Isis, did not like her. She also was a big fan of the otters. The otters loved to eat clams and play with the shell, and her favorite otter was named Daisy. Once Daisy got moved she liked to terrorize the monkeys. Her favorite part of working there was seeing all the different ways the animals could be trained. For example, she worked with a polar bear who was a part of a research study who was trained to open its mouth when you said “mouth,” so the scientists could gather a swab of its mouth.
A year after her internship at the Brookfield Zoo, she went on to work at the Dubuque River Museum and worked there for a year. She liked to work with and feed the stingrays who would vacuum the food out of her hand. She also liked working with the small octopus. The Dubuque River Museum also is known for rehabilitation and the reintroduction of endangered frogs into the wild.
During all of this, Ms. Black got her masters in teaching the biological sciences online from the University of Miami of Ohio, which took about two and a half years.
Ms. Black went onto work at the Harlow Primate lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she cleaned monkey cages.
She then went on to teach at Little Explorers, which is a preschool in Madison. Later, she then went on to teach preschool at the Learning Gardens.
Ms. Black now teaches at DeForest high school in Deforest, Wisconsin. She started at DeForest High School in 2019 as a student teacher under Kelly Kramer who then moved to a new district to continue teaching. Since Mrs. Kramer left the district, Ms. Black then took over teaching biology and she inherited her now junior advisory.
She sees herself with a long career in teaching, but would like to start a theater class here at DAHS. She said
“Doing the musical reminded me how much fun I have with theater, and I would love to do it on a day to day basis”
Black has been at deforest for 4ish years and plans to be here much longer, Black is loved and respected by many many students and staff here at DAHS.