Morgan Reierson Finally Starts the New Path for Her Softball Career

An Unsolved Injury is Finally Solved

May 20, 2022

Reierson playing catcher for DeForest Area High School’s Varsity Softball team.

For the past two years, Morgan Reierson has pushed through the pain of an unknown injury; pain in her left wrist made it hard for her to perform to the best of her ability. This injury was finally fixed in November of 2021 but it was a long, complicated process to get where she is now.

Reierson, a Junior at DeForest Area High School (DAHS) has played softball for eight years. She has put in countless hours of work to achieve her current capability as a catcher on her team. 

“My dad is a big mentor for me in softball and has helped me get where I am today. I wouldn’t be as skilled and experienced if it weren’t for him being by my side,” she reflected.

With Reierson’s softball career on a steady path to success because of her effort and time put into her craft, it was all about to change. In her left hand, she has a bone abnormality; her ulna is longer than it’s supposed to be, leading to ligament tears in her wrist. She started to notice the pain while competing in gymnastics in third grade. With repetitive use over time, the pain started to worsen leading to it being unbearable to play.

When asked about the timeline of her injury Reierson answered, “Summer of 2021 is when it really started to affect me to the point where I thought I wouldn’t be able to play at all. The summer of 2020 is when I started going to a chiropractor doing red light therapy. The chiropractors thought it was a back injury that needed to be fixed.”

Reierson was going to the chiropractor for red light therapy and readjustments two times a week for five months. Red light therapy is a treatment that uses low wavelength red light to reportedly improve your skin’s appearance, such as reducing wrinkles, scars, redness, and acne. It’s also touted to treat other medical conditions. During this time she was also playing for her travel club softball team and the treatments she was receiving were not helping her wrist.

“Near the end of my summer softball season, I had to stop hitting because the pain was unbearable,” Said Reierson

During the process of finding the problem with her wrist, she played her first school softball season at DAHS. It went well, except she couldn’t hit for over half the season because the wrist pain was unbearable. This is when Reierson’s parents decided she should stop going to the chiropractor and to the hospital instead. There she found out, after a year and a half of countless appointments at the hospital, the root of her wrist problem would be finally solved.

“I was extremely frustrated throughout the process because I felt like I was never going to be back to normal. I already missed my freshman year season because of Covid (COVID-19) and I hadn’t been able to perform at my best ability with my wrist holding me back.”

The process Reierson mentioned included two X-rays, an MRI, and constant visits to the hospital for physical therapy. All of this led to surgery in November of 2021, scoping out her wrist because the doctors didn’t know what to do. During this surgery, doctors found a major injury that was fixed during the operation. 

“They found out my ulna was abnormally long and it was sticking up instead of staying level. So they tied the bone down to stay level, along with clearing out all the inflammation from my ulna tearing my tendons and ligaments,” said Reierson. “We couldn’t just shave down my bone because it could’ve possibly caused worsening injuries down the road from my wrist but the doctors hadn’t dealt with this kind of injury before so they didn’t want to take any chances.”

In late April of 2022, Reierson was cleared to fully play and finish out her junior season of DeForest softball. Now, Reierson has been back for about three weeks and has done a tremendous job on the field.

“I am extremely excited to be back playing on the field. Playing softball is my happy place and it’s where I feel most comfortable and confident. I’m excited for what the future holds for me.”

Reierson plans to continue playing throughout the rest of high school and possibly college.