DeForest Boys Lacrosse Opens Up Season With New Coaches

The Norskies new coaching staff has high hopes after the first game

April 15, 2022

The Norskies gather together before the start of the game – via Reanah Nelson

On Monday, April 11, the boys lacrosse team faced off against Janesville. The Norskies have a revamped coaching staff. The new head coach, Kody Sutton, was most recently the assistant coach at Sun Prairie, commented on the game, “I think we showed a lot of things that work will work well for us, but there are still things we need to improve on.” 

Sutton played at Sun Prairie High School, then went on to attend, and play lacrosse for, Benedictine University in Wisconsin. After playing for four years, Sutton graduated and got a job in pharmaceutical wholesale, while at the same time taking on the assistant coach at Sun Prairie High School before taking the head coaching job at DeForest Area High School. 

Another one of the new coaches is  Adam Casper, a student at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, who is studying to become a teacher. Casper played lacrosse at Eastside High School and went to play at Saint Ambrose College, where he only played one year before he was forced to stop playing due to too many concussions. Because of that, transferred to Whitewater to complete his academics.

Another coach is Josh Holler, a recently-hired special education teacher at Eagle Point Elementary School. Holler played for Sauk Prairie High School, then went on to attend University-Wisconsin Lacrosse. During the game, Holler said,  “I think we had a great first half. We just could not slow down their momentum in the 3rd quarter. Proud of the way the team played. We need to limit penalties.”

On the field, the Norksies were down by one at the half with the score being 5-4. During the second half, Janesville pulled away with the final score being 13-6. The Norskies’ leading scorer was Evan Doucette with 2 goals. Doucette also picked up an assist. Other scorers were Seniors Luke Castillo and Harry Roy, Junior Koby Tompkins and Freshman Carson Volenberg.