New Halls Open In DeForest Area High School

Are they really necessary?

DeForest Area High School (DAHS) just reopened some of the old hallways to the staff and students. Not only does this throw students off only two and a half months from summer, but it also causes some traffic issues both in the hallways and on the road.

The South and North Commons opened up after Spring Break, which gives a lot more room for the staff and students to use during the day;, also the new lunch rooms opened up, all of which look more modern than the rest of the school. The classrooms in the new wing have doors entirely made out of glass, so if anything were to go wrong, that’d be the first place going down, but it’s not only illogical for safety reasons, but also for upkeep reasons.

Poor janitors.

Traffic is its own problem within the school as well. Trucks and cars piled up in a long line just to find a place to enter and exit and it takes about five more minutes than normal to get into the school. The hallways are chaotic, kids bumping into each other more often, kids confused on where their next class is and not to mention kids feel more confident stopping in the middle of the packed hallways to have an idle chitchat with their ‘bestie’ now. Are the new hallways really necessary this close to the end of school?

No.

Is the new structure just as nice to look at though? Is modernism probably going to be considered old in a few years?

Of course.

The traffic can easily be explained by Arizona State University (ASU) in an article published called ‘Traffic Congestion Around Schools’ ,where they go over most of the reasons traffic can start popping up around school and one thing they say really sticks out;   “Indeed, far fewer children are walking or biking to school, with official statistics’ showing a 40 percent decrease in school-aged children walking or biking between 1977 and 1995. This may be explained by changes in the workforce, with more working mothers’ taking their children to school by car on their way to work.”  Parents are more worried about their children especially considering all the stuff that has been going down recently, they want to make sure their kids are safe going to and coming from school, but mix a bunch of worried but stubborn parents in the same area as inexperienced babies driving cars and you yourself have a whole different problem.

Foot traffic within schools can be less easily explained though. Maybe it’s due to the school getting more populated as time goes on, but all there really is to do is give advice on what not to do in hallways. An article written by other student writers from Wethersfield High School gives insightful, but hilarious tips on what NOT to do.  ‘How to Properly Walk…in High School’  written by Emma Moore. The tips stand out because it’s something most of us here in DAHS have to deal with on a daily basis like people walking to slow, people stopping to talk to people in the middle of the hall, kids not walking on the correct side of the hallway, but the one that stands out most is one everyone knows to well.

Many friends like to walk in groups all together, but they tend to line up horizontally so they can all walk next to each other. Don’t do this. We get it you want to be with your friends, but if you’re all taking up that space, you’re affecting all those behind you and those walking towards you. You make it difficult to pass or break through the line, and then stop to move and make way for others. If you’re one to do this, well you can’t get mad if someone knocks into you because, you and your friends are at fault. Just walk behind each other, you aren’t missing out on anything with your friends.”  And this comes from rule 2; Don’t take up the entire hall with your friends.

In time DAHS will get back into the groove and then maybe traffic will be more bearable, everyone just has to get used to the new hallways and roads. The hallways aren’t really necessary at the moment and modernism is a strange theme to choose, but the new halls can be helpful when you are trying to get from one side of the school to another.