Why Is Senioritis Showing Up Early in Juniors?

And why we need to try to fix it!

Senioritis. What is it? Well senioritis is a common and highly infectious ‘disease’ among high school seniors which gives them lack of motivation in the school system making their grades drop as a result of it. No senioritis isn’t really a disease, it in itself is more of a mindset students pick up when they are at the end of their rope.

But seniors aren’t the only one’s falling ill to this ill-timed illness;, juniors, the high school middle-men-and-women are getting more and more unmotivated as time drags on and on. Why is it showing up in juniors and what should everyone do to fix it? 

Well to burst the metaphorical bubble, senioritis has always been around in juniors and sometimes even sophomores it’s nothing new we haven’t already dealt with, seniors just show earlier signs of it because they are closer to graduating then the younger years. The University of The People (UOP) has an article labeled ‘What is Senioritis? Need-To-Know Causes And Cures’ and the UOP has a few quotes that stick to the question; why are juniors getting senioritis early?

Unsurprisingly one of the main points is an ‘end-goal mindset’ a mindset anyone, especially students, get when they are near the end of the year or week. Juniors are getting this end-goal mindset because when spring comes around they’re closer to spring break and summer then they were a few months earlier. When they trudged through snow every morning to get to the bus stop. Another point in the UOP article is boredom, as the UOP says “Traditional methods of education can get boring when learning styles go unnoticed. Both a teacher and student play a role in the liveliness of subject matter.” 

Routine is something that people love especially when it comes to school or work, but when you follow the same routine for a ton of days or 9.25 months continuously and said routine consists of; wake up, eat breakfast, get ready, go to school, do your classes, go home, do homework, eat dinner, fall asleep and repeat, then it can get a bit tiring. But this begs the question, why should we fix it? There is an article by Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) titled ‘What is Senioritis and is There a Cure’ it brings up plenty of great solutions to this on-going problem. 

“Surround yourself with support. Smith advises students to surround themselves with people who are positive and are there to motivate, not distract.This is a perfect example of what to do. It’s recommended to not only talk to your friends but also to your close family if you are experiencing bad feelings or are feeling unmotivated. SNHU says time and time again to surround yourself with people who do not distract you from your work and grades, but who are also fun enough to hang out with in your down time.It is recommended for you to also set goals for yourself so you can take small steps towards success and not bite off more than you can chew. It’s difficult for young teenagers, senior or not, to go through high school. You want to be successful, but at the same time it’s hard to do with the light at the end of the tunnel right in your sight. The best thing anyone can do right now is stay focused and take each and every day one step at a time till the end of the year.