The World Is Full of Zanies and Fools — Performing The “Cinderella” Musical

The Cinderella Cast and Crew, performing this week, are hard at work to make this production magical!

November 11th through the 14th, DeForest Area High School is going to perform Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella”. It’s going to take place in the high school auditorium, better known as The PAC. After months of collaboration between director, crew, cast, and costumes, this fantastical show is going to become a reality.

With two months of work and counting, the “Cinderella” cast and crew continue to work and make this musical as best it can be. Although they will have finished their production by the time this article is finished, they sold out on multiple nights, two of which the Jerrys — similar to the Oscars for high school students — showed up to.

When asked about the challenges of taking on this particular musical, Lyrica Daentl, director of the musical, stated; “Simply put, I feel honored! I have enjoyed diving into the intricate melodies and harmonies of Richard Rodgers and the captivating lyrics of Oscar Hammerstein. Taking on a show this big in a post-pandemic world threw lots of challenges our way, but luckily I had an amazing cast, crew, and assistant director, Hannah Black.”

Sarah Locher, who plays Madame, Cinderella’s wicked stepmother, in the musical, said after the Advisory performance; “I think after today, I’m feeling better, I was nervous, but now that I have a half performance under my feet, I feel better, also I’m so excited to see all the costumes and makeup.”

Gavin Denning, actor of Prince Topher, wrote when asked about bringing his character to life; “I had a lot of fun with it even though it was challenging. Acting as someone else and having the ability to sell it to an audience is something that I continue to learn more about each year.”

Daentl was also asked about how she felt about the show happening this week — “I am beyond excited for the show to open this week! Theatre went dark for too long during the start of the pandemic, and I am so excited to be able to open our PAC doors once again to share the beautiful story of “Cinderella”. The cast and crew have put hours and HOURS in, and now it’s time to watch everything fall into place. Let the magic begin!”