Advice on COVID from College: DAHS Grad Weighs in on Panedmic Learning

Lydia Vang, Reporter

COVID has affected many students in the world. When the pandemic began, the daily lives of all college students have changed drastically. Many colleges all over the United States have transitioned from in-person classes to online instead. How much can COVID affect a college student’s life?

Adam Vang has been a college student for four years, two years at Madison Area Technical College (MATC) and now currently attending the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. As he already had the experience of being a college student, COVID still had an effect on him but as a student. Since many colleges transitioned to online school, Adam himself has also been doing online as well. 

COVID affecting Adam has made quite a difference for him being a student. “As a student, you expect yourself to go to college, go to campus, and experience the whole college life, ” Adam said. Although he has experienced the college life, adjusting to online was quite a change for him. Having online school was not difficult for Adam, however, it did consist of more work. And with online school “It’s more tedious,” he said. “It’s a lot of work more than if you were to have it in person. The whole idea is just to keep the student’s mind interacting with the materials.” but doing online, “You’re teaching yourself as well, and for some reason I’m learning these stuff more efficiently versus learning in person, but what I like about learning in person is that it’s more interactive. So I guess it has its pros and cons with both learning in person and online.”

Adam himself hasn’t really been able to go out as often, not just because of the pandemic itself but also because of his schedule. As he said, “This semester, my schedule is literally all day working on my school work. Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are my chill days.”

“When the pandemic happened last semester, all the professors were not prepared for the pandemic,” Adam said. “Bunch of the materials was basically just given to us little by little and it wasn’t as much work, so when we started this semester I expected the same thing, but the whole system has been changed so now we have even more work.” Adam says, explaining what he was expecting this year. Vang has said that if the pandemic didn’t happen “I think it’ll probably be the same as any other semesters I have been here at UW – Milwaukee, just go to school, learn, come back, do your homework, and everything else. Honestly it’ll still be the same as if nothing ever happened.” showing that COVID has affected him not as a person but as a student as he once said.

Before the pandemic happened, one thing Adam enjoyed and loved about college was, “The organizations. Ever since I’ve started in college, I have always been involved with college student orgs and I think that’s the best way to keep yourself interactive and make you feel like you’re part of something bigger than just you going to school everyday. So I think that’s the best part of my college experience, so it’s not just going to school but you also feel like you have a family at the school as well.”

As Adam Vang tells us his experience of being a college student during this time of the year, he recommends the current freshman students “If your classes or professor are recommending you to connect with other students, do it to connect with more people. And once the pandemic is over, I definitely recommend them to participate with student orgs and events because that’s the best part about college as well. And when you make new friends, you begin to learn who you really are and develop better characteristics and also skills as well for the future.”